Tuesday 5 September 2017

Frightening films and vidoegames

When I was young, I was scared by just about anything. One particular scene was the scene in Alice in Wonderland (1951), where Alice drinks a potion to grow big and then starts crying and nearly drowns in her own tears when she shrinks back down (about 2:30 minutes into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di7dZwidXZU). This scene scared me because I nearly drowned as a kid and I know how scary and painful drowning can be. Now I've become fairly desensitized to it and it doesn't elicit the same response in me.

Shrek (2001) also freaked me out when Fiona turned into an Ogre. I don't know why, it was just unexpected and I spent the remainder of the film on my mother's lap. Now I'm okay with it.

The only real examples from recent memory tend to belong to videogames, due to their more interactive nature. The theatre level of Bioshock 1 (2007) really scared me when I was playing it, due to it being dimly lit, some enemies looked like statues until the player looks away and then they'd attack.

Image result for bioshock rabbit level
If you hit the statues, they bleed too which didn't help.



The other example is Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2010), simply due to it's atmosphere and eerieness. Not to mention the disturbing 'unseeable' nature of the creatures that chase the player and the fact that you don't encounter them until about 30 minutes into the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment